I just wanted to make you aware that Delimiter currently has a position open for a graduate journalist to join the company and work from our offices in Sydney. Essential facts about the position:
- It is currently part-time (3-4 days a week). But we are rapidly growing. The role could quickly expand for the right person.
- Applicants will need to have a degree in journalism or media and communications
- The position is strictly for a news journalist — this position will not cover reviews, opinion pieces or feature articles
- The successful application will work from our offices in Randwick, Sydney
- Interest in the technology sector is preferred but not essential
If you’re interested in the position, please drop me an email to firstname.lastname@example.org with a cover letter outlining why you want to work as a news journalist for Delimiter, a copy of your resume and two referees who are editors who have published your work. In addition, please attach four samples of your writing at a length of 500 words or less each.
Applications which do not meet these requirements will be instantly rejected.
A shortlist of applicants will be drawn up, and only those applicants will be contacted about the role. Those applicants will be put through a two-step practical exam to test note-taking skills and speed and quality of writing. Following that test, interviews will be held for candidates who progress.
I don’t want anyone to be under any illusions about this job. Delimiter is a fast-paced environment and the successful candidate will need to be able to publish 2-3 news articles a day to spec and work independently on tasks. It’s not going to be a walk in the park. In addition, this is strictly a news journalist job — if you are not personally dedicated to becoming a news journalist, don’t bother applying.
On the flipside, the rewards for working at Delimiter are many. You’ll be intimately involved in many of the biggest news events in Australia’s modern history and will have access to daily training from one of the nation’s most prolific technology journalists. And our syndication arrangements ensure your byline will appear across many different mastheads.
Image credit: Delimiter