news The government is seeking a CEO to head the Australian Digital Health Agency (ADHA) – a newly created body set up to revamp the underachieving My Health Record initiative.
Advertising the leadership role online, the government said that the ADHA will become fully operational on July 1, 2016, and will assume management and governance responsibilities for many aspects of the digital health scheme, including strategy, design, development, delivery and operations.
As part of this process, the agency will take over the activities and resources of the National E-Health Transition Authority, along with the system operation activities of the My Health Record (currently managed by the Department of Health).
The government said the new agency CEO will report to a “skills-based board” that is “reflective of the health community”, and will initially focus on setting up the new agency and transitioning activities from the other bodies.
Going forward, the new head will be responsible for “the strategic leadership, engagement, collaboration, innovation and operations of the national digital health systems”.
Key tasks for the role will include leading strategic planning, stakeholder engagement and quality of operations; implementing the National Digital Health Strategy; maximising the interoperability of the public and private e-health systems; and ensuring clinical safety in the delivery of the national digital health work program.
The advertisement states that ideal candidate will be:
- A dynamic and innovative leader, with complex change leadership experience
- Able to formulate national strategies with a focus on delivery of outcomes
- An understanding of and ability to manage major IT programs
- Exceptional stakeholder engagement skills
- Able to effectively manage within the political, private and public sector environment
- Independent and accountable in delivering the digital health outcomes.
The My Health Record project (previously called the Personally Controlled Electronic Health Records project) was initially funded in the 2010 Federal Budget at a cost of $466.7 million. The project has been overseen by the Department of Health in coalition with the National E-Health Transition Authority (NEHTA).
However, the project has reportedly suffered extensive problems, as well as poor uptake by medical facilities and the public.
As a result, on 4 November 2013, then-Health Minister Peter Dutton initiated a review of the e-health project, that concluded it would continue but be significantly revamped.In the 2015-16 Budget, the coalition government announced $485 million for the redevelopment of the My Health Record system to ‘strengthen and transform national digital health governance’.