• Great articles on other sites
  • RSS Great articles on other sites

  • Blog, Telecommunications - Written by on Tuesday, April 22, 2014 12:21 - 8 Comments

    NBN Co considers third satellite

    nbncosatellites

    blog It is very much apparent at the moment that the National Broadband Network Company’s plans to deploy satellites into orbit over Australia to help service the broadband needs of those in remote areas are up in the air. A wide-ranging review into the satellite aspect of the company’s rollout will shortly be handed down, while some commentators are calling for the two satellites and extensive ground infrastructure NBN Co is currently deploying to be sold off. Heck, there has already been at least one buyout offer from a private sector satellite telco. Into all this comes the news that NBN Co is considering deploying a third satellite to meet projected long-term demand. The Financial Review tells us (we recommend you click here for the full article):

    “NBN Co is considering plans to build and launch a third satellite to serve rural and regional areas, a move that could increase the cost of the project, amid concerns the existing two satellites being built will fail to meet expectations.”

    Communications Minister Malcolm Turnbull, as many will recall, was not originally the greatest fan of NBN Co building its own satellites. In “There is enough capacity on private satellites already in orbit or scheduled for launch for the NBN to deliver broadband to the 200,000 or so premises in remote Australia without building its own,” Turnbull said in a statement in February 2012.

    As it turns out, however, and as Delimiter pointed out at the time, the Minister was incorrect, and there is indeed a very great need for NBN Co to launch its own satellites if it is to be able to service Australia’s remote areas with rural broadband. It may be this reality which has led the Minister into a change of heart on the issue. Turnbull’s latest statement on the satellite situation, as delivered in a speech to the CommsDay Summit earlier this month, is that NBN Co is likely to continue to own its own satellites for some time. At the time, the Minister said:

    “… the satellite and fixed wireless networks will likely be drags on the operating budget of the NBN Co, even after the initial capital expenditure period. Although the NBN Co is exploring the possible feasibility of joint ventures – if, for instance, there are third-party assets which can assist in the build or management of the networks – there is virtually no possibility that the company will be able to offload any underperforming assets to the private sector.”

    All of this is good news for remote Australia. There is a certain percentage of the nation — especially remote farming facilities — which will never be able to be serviced by fixed telecommunications infrastructure, due to the cost of reaching those areas. Subsidised satellite access is the logical way to target them, and it is pleasing to see NBN Co considering investing further in this area, even before its planned two satellites get off the ground.

    Image credit: NBN Co

    submit to reddit

    8 Comments

    You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. Both comments and pings are currently closed.

    1. Soth
      Posted 22/04/2014 at 12:24 pm | Permalink |

      To infinity and beyond!
      Good stuff.

    2. GrackFields
      Posted 22/04/2014 at 12:34 pm | Permalink |

      He removed the article on the blog, but luckily it’s still here!
      http://web.archive.org/web/20130402231315/http://www.malcolmturnbull.com.au/homepage-issues/satellite-deal-%E2%80%93-more-wasteful-nbn-spending/

      • Soth
        Posted 22/04/2014 at 12:42 pm | Permalink |

        Ahh the comments.. Good times, good times.

      • Ray Herring
        Posted 22/04/2014 at 1:34 pm | Permalink |

        Also shows that once you have said or put something up on the net, it is there to stay forever.

        Either through re-tweets, the many services that archive youtube videos, or things like archive.org itself.

    3. Guest
      Posted 22/04/2014 at 12:56 pm | Permalink |

      Malcolm was wrong?????

    4. Cameron
      Posted 22/04/2014 at 1:34 pm | Permalink |

      From an AFR article posted here http://www.afr.com/p/technology/nbn_satellite_cost_concerns_as_it_zr6oHEUiqzQi8p4r11G0VM
      An NBN Co spokeswoman said the company was confident of securing the required orbital slots.

      I thought Mike Quigley was quite adamant that the slots were secured when questioned by Turnbull on this issue in the old joint committee hearing.

      There is something odd going on here i think, I’m just not sure what exactly yet.

      Could Turnbull be trying to move a bunch of wireless users onto satellite to try to shift cost to, and hide the cost in the “inadequate” satellite repair job. ie The 3rd satellite.

      Quigley always struck me a man with integrity and i don’t think that they would have got things so wrong, whereas Turnbull (and the new NBNco) seem sleazy. I find it hard to trust anything they say and find myself looking for their play or angle.

      • nonny-moose
        Posted 22/04/2014 at 4:06 pm | Permalink |

        no IIRC the orbital slots always lagged the decision for the sats – but MQ was confident they would land the slots, i think the language was ‘this isnt unusual in this situation’.

        i think the suspicion is justified; my personal feeling is that if fixed line wasnt messed about with so much, to crowbar it into the MTM design, the demand for these sort of alternate services wouldnt be as large as we are seeing. i fully expect it as a knock on effect of those design decisions, tracable right back to and resting as the responsibility of MT. ironic, considering how as Renai pointed out, he was really against any new satellites to start with; and now they are longfacing about how a third might eventually be needed. its a bad joke, it really is.

    5. Paul Grenfell
      Posted 22/04/2014 at 8:05 pm | Permalink |

      As others have suggested, the need went from two to three, because of the reduced ftth footprint..




    Get our 'Best of the Week' newsletter on Fridays

    Just the most important stories, one email a week.

    Email address:


  • Enterprise IT stories

    • Super funds close to dumping $250m IT revamp facepalm2

      If you have even a skin deep awareness of the structure of Australia’s superannuation industry, you’ll be aware that much of the underlying infrastructure used by many of the nation’s major funds is provided by a centralised group, Superpartners. One of the group’s main projects in recent years has been to dramatically update and modernise its IT platform — its version of a core banking platform overhaul. Unfortunately, the $250 million project has not precisely been going well.

    • Qld’s Grant joins analyst firm IBRS peter-grant

      This week it emerged that Peter Grant, the two-time former Queensland Whole of Government CIO (pictured), has joined well-regarded analyst firm Intelligent Business Research Services (IBRS). We’ve long had a high regard for IBRS, and so it’s fantastic to see such an experienced executive join its ranks.

    • Westpac dumps desk phones for Samsung Android mobiles samsung-galaxy-ace-3

      The era of troublesome desk phones tied to physical locations is gradually coming to an end in many workplaces, with mobile phones becoming increasingly popular as organisations’ main method of voice telecommunications. But some groups are more advanced than others when it comes to adoption of the trend. One of those is Westpac.

    • Ministers’ cloud approval lasted just a year reverse

      Remember how twelve months ago, the Federal Government released a new cloud computing security and privacy directive which required departments and agencies to explicitly acquire the approval of the Attorney-General and the relevant portfolio minister before government data containing private information could be stored in offshore facilities? Remember how the policy was strongly criticised by Microsoft, Government CIOs and Delimiter? Well, it looks like the policy is about to be reversed.

    • WA Govt can’t fund school IT upgrades oops key

      In news from The Department of Disturbing Facts, iTNews revealed late last week that Western Australia’s Department of Education has run out of money halfway through the deployment of new fundamental IT infrastructure to the state’s schools.

    • Turnbull outlines Govt ICT vision turnbull-5

      Communications Minister Malcolm Turnbull has published an extensive article arguing that the Federal Government needed to do a better job of connecting with Australians via digital channels and that public sector IT projects needn’t cost the huge amounts that some have in the past.

    • NZ Govt pushes hard into cloud zealand

      New Zealand’s national Government announced a whole of government contract this morning for what it terms ‘Office Productivity as a Service’ services. This includes email and calendaring services, as well as file-sharing, mobility, instant messaging and collaboration services. The contract complements two existing contracts — Desktop as a Service and Enterprise Content Management as a Service.

    • CommBank reveals Harte’s replacement whiteing

      The Commonwealth Bank of Australia has promoted an internal executive who joined the bank in September after a lengthy career at petroleum giant VP and IT services group Accenture to replace its outgoing chief information officer Michael Harte, who announced in early May that he would leave the bank.

    • Jeff Smith quits Suncorp for IBM jeffsmith4

      Second-tier Australian bank and financial services group Suncorp today announced that its long-serving top technology executive Jeff Smith would leave to take up a senior role with IBM in the United States, in an announcement which marks the end of an era for the nation’s banking IT sector.

    • Small business missing the mobile, social, cloud revolution iphone-stock

      Most companies that live and breathe the online revolution are not tech startups, but smart smaller firms that use online tools to run their core business better: to cut costs, reach customers and suppliers, innovate and get more control. Many others, however, are falling behind, according to a new Grattan Institute discussion paper.

  • Blog, Enterprise IT - Jul 5, 2014 13:53 - 0 Comments

    Super funds close to dumping $250m IT revamp

    More In Enterprise IT


    Blog, Telecommunications - Jul 5, 2014 12:12 - 0 Comments

    What should the ACCC’s role be in guiding infrastructure spending?

    More In Telecommunications


    Analysis, Industry, Internet - Jun 23, 2014 10:33 - 0 Comments

    ‘Google Schmoogle’ – how Yellow Pages got it so wrong

    More In Industry


    Blog, Digital Rights - Jun 30, 2014 22:24 - 0 Comments

    Will Netflix launch in Australia, or not?

    More In Digital Rights