Blog, Telecommunications - Written by Renai LeMay on Tuesday, January 29, 2013 15:08 - 4 Comments
Does Telstra have a million 4G devices or not?
blog Those who’ve been keeping an eye on the rapid uptake of Telstra’s 4G network may be a little confused as to just how many devices the telco has connected to it. Take this article published in the Australian newspaper this morning. It quotes Telstra chief customer officer Gordon Ballantyne:
“We’re getting close to the million mark,” Ballantyne exclusively told The Australian ahead of the telco’s half-year results in February.
But wait a second … wasn’t this exactly the same thing which Telstra said more than two months ago? ZDNet quoted Telstra’s head of prepaid devices Stuart Bird on November 21 last year:
“We’re about to talk to the media about bringing up close to 1 million customers on 4G at Telstra, a wonderful achievement,” he said.
We’re faced with a difficult conumdrum here. If both Bird and Ballantyne are right, then Telstra had close to a million 4G devices on its network in late November, but that figure didn’t rise significantly over the busy Christmas period, so the telco is still trying to break the magic million number. However, it’s also possible that one or the other just didn’t know what they were talking about or that Ballantyne was merely quoting Bird. In any case, no matter how close Telstra is to having a million 4G devices on its network, we can say for certain that the telco is a lot closer than Vodafone (which has exactly zero) or Optus, which probably has a few tens of thousands by now (perhaps close to a hundred thousand). It’s nice to be the big T.
Blog, Enterprise IT - Jul 5, 2014 13:53 - 0 Comments
More In Enterprise IT
- Qld’s Grant joins analyst firm IBRS
- Westpac dumps desk phones for Samsung Android mobiles
- Ministers’ cloud approval lasted just a year
- WA Govt can’t fund school IT upgrades
- Turnbull outlines Govt ICT vision
Blog, Telecommunications - Jul 5, 2014 12:12 - 0 Comments
More In Telecommunications
- Telstra gets $150m for NBN FTTN trial
- How Australia got online 25 years ago
- Palmer pushes for minimalist NBN policy
- NBN debate heats up at IEEE conference
- Spirit deploys 200Mbps FTTB to Southbank
Analysis, Industry, Internet - Jun 23, 2014 10:33 - 0 Comments
More In Industry
- ABC tech reporter founds micro-transactions startup
- Australia’s got ICT talent: So how do we make the most of it?
- ‘Thriving’ Aussie tech incubator scene a ‘mirage’
- Corporate highs: The US P-TECH model for schools in Australia?
- Facebook wants to hide its Australian earnings
Blog, Digital Rights - Jun 30, 2014 22:24 - 0 Comments
More In Digital Rights
- “Rational debate” needed around surveillance
- Web blocking technically impossible: iiNet reminds Govt of undisputed fact
- We like e-readers – but library users are still borrowing books
- Coalition, Labor support new surveillance laws
- Anti-piracy laws will increase piracy, says Budde