Great articles on other sites
- iiNet founder Michael Malone finally backs TPG Telecom takeover
- How and why the public sector must make friends with artificial intelligence
- Second anniversary of IT pricing report approaches - Computerworld
- Doctors spend 15 mins opening Fiona Stanley Hospital software
- What to expect from Abbott's national cyber security strategy
- ISPs need more time for data retention compliance
- TPG iiNet bid: major shareholders complain
- Qld emergency services payroll replacement on the rocks
- Victoria to wait another eight months for public IT dashboard
- Superloop CEO slams Australian govt tech policies
Renai's other site: Sci-fi + fantasy book news and reviews
- Kim Stanley Robinson’s new book Aurora is due in July
- What’s the future of “Grimdark” fantasy?
- An epic rant from Richard Morgan about nuance in writing
- Brandon Sanderson’s Firefight: Review
- Get into Jeff VanderMeer’s head as he writes the Southern Reach trilogy
- George R. R. Martin’s next book The Winds of Winter won’t arrive in 2015
- Alastair Reynolds’ Poseidon’s Wake launches 16 April
- Ann Leckie’s Ancillary Sword: Review
- Ann Leckie finishes Ancillary Mercy
- Hannu Rajaniemi’s The Fractal Prince: Review
News - Written by Brenton Currie on Tuesday, September 13, 2011 14:48 - 1 Comment
Australia’s Society of Authors joins US lawsuit over digital book debacle
Australia’s Society of Authors has today announced it’s joined a lawsuit against significant American universities, once again debating the contentious issue of digital copies of books.
In a statement this morning, the Australian group confirmed it’d take part in the suit against high profile American universities including University of Michigan and the University of California, making a stand for author rights.
It’ll be joined by several other author organisations in the case including the US Authors Guild and similar groups in the UK and Quebec. Eight individual authors — including Pat Cummings, Angelo Loukakis, Roxana Robinson and Danièle Simpson — are also named as plaintiffs in the suit.
The case essentially revolves around scanned copies of books, that in the first instance were provided to the named universities by search giant Google. After being approached by Google asking for the loan of copyright-free books that it wanted to scan for its own Books product, each uni was provided with a copy of the scanned items.
Since then, a number of universities and institutes worked together to create a location where all the scanned books could be made accessible to students, for free and at anytime. Not long after, HathiTrust was formed to manage the collection and distribution of the “unauthorised” scanned books.
The suit suggests the books uploaded to HathiTrust may be breaching copyright, given they are out of control of the universities that own the hard copy editions and are “unauthorized” scans.
Secondly, the case attacks the recent announcement by HathiTrust that it’d soon begin making available ‘orphan books’ — books that can be digitalised because they don’t have a copyright owner that can be located or identified to ask permission but are still covered by US copyright laws — for students.
This, says the Society of Authors executive director Angelo Loukakis, is damaging to authors who depend on book sales for their livelihood.
“Maybe it doesn’t seem like it to some, but writing books is an author’s real-life work and livelihood,” Loukakis said today.
“This group of American universities have no authority to decide whether, when or how authors forfeit their copyright protection. These aren’t orphan books, they’re abducted books.”
A good outcome, the group says, would be for the HathiTrust group to be shelved, with the orphan book project no longer pursued.
Although not named in today’s suit, Google is expected to return to court on Thursday for a status hearing with Judge Denny Chin in its own battle against author groups for infringing on copyright with its Google Books product.
In March, a proposed settlement by Google was rejected by the Federal Court in the US, who said the proposal wasn’t “fair, adequate, and reasonable.”
Blog, Policy + Politics - Jul 31, 2015 12:43 - 0 Comments
More In Policy + Politics
- Four months later, data retention funding model still incomplete
- Less talk, more action: Entrepreneur tells ‘Labor for Innovation’
- Bronny Copter is here to save us from Bishop’s Choppergate
- 7:30 exposes Aussie Hacking Team industry
- Hypocrisy? Fletcher pushs tech exports to China while TSSR bill looms
Blog, Enterprise IT - Jul 31, 2015 14:16 - 1 Comment
More In Enterprise IT
- Microsoft wants to win you back with Windows 10
- Qld Govt Depts have no disaster recovery plan
- ASD releases Windows 8 hardening guide
- ASG picks up $35m CIMIC IT services deal
- Datacom completes mammoth Health ICT takeover
Industry, News - Jul 28, 2015 12:37 - 0 Comments
More In Industry
- iiNet shareholders vote ‘yes’ for TPG buyout
- iiNet chairman “proud” as TPG sell-out looms
- Kotaku alleges abuse, gross staff neglect at retailer EB Games
- Aussie software firm Marketplacer grabs $10m
- Expert360 pulls in $4.1m for consultancy 2.0
Consumer Tech, News - Jul 29, 2015 17:14 - 11 Comments
More In Consumer Tech
- Older Australians embracing video games
- Gasp … Qld will fuel electric vehicle charging stations with solar
- Oops … Tesla enthusiast charges car on Qld windfarm
- Netflix Australia: Review
- RAC builds electric vehicle highway in WA