Posts Tagged ‘chief technology officer’
Enterprise IT, Featured, News - Friday, June 13, 2014 13:56 - 1 Comment
news Second-tier Australian bank and financial services group Suncorp today announced that its long-serving top technology executive Jeff Smith would leave to take up a senior role with IBM in the United States, in an announcement which marks the end of an era for the nation’s banking IT sector.
Smith joined Suncorp in March 2007 as chief information officer and held that role for the next three years, before being promoted to the role of chief executive officer of Suncorp’s Business Services division, its shared services division.
In that time, Smith has overseen a huge amount of innovation at Suncorp from an IT perspective, overseeing the technology integration of acquisitions such as insurer Promina and leading the bank’s core banking replacement project, which has recently gained a substantial amount of speed. Under Smith’s leadership, Suncorp has garnered a reputation as having one of the most innovative and flexible IT organisations in Australia, with the executive placing a heavy focus on agile software development and the individual autonomy of teams within the overarching IT organisation.
Prior to taking up the Suncorp role, Smith also held a number of other senior positions as one of Australia’s leading technologists. From 2005 through 2007 he was the chief executive of startup Majitek, while in three and a half years as Telstra’s chief technology officer he led a number of innovations, including a threatened move to open source software on the desktop which led to some nervous moments at the telco’s incumbent supplier, Microsoft.
In a statement issued this morning, Suncorp said Smith had resigned and accepted “a senior global executive role with IBM based in the United States”.
Suncorp Group Chief Executive Officer Patrick Snowball said Smith had made a significant contribution during his seven years at Suncorp and his appointment to a world-leading technology company was testament to his skill and leadership. Continue…
- Defence appoints Mohan as new CTO
- NBN imports Canadian HFC cable expert as CTO
- Gary McLaren’s last email to the NBN troops
- Five months later, Defence seeks new CTO
- iiNet made CTO Lindsay redundant
- Internode CTO quits iiNet after two years
- Tom Quinn appointed News Corp Australia CTO
- Govt CTO Sheridan on open source, cloud
- Customs appoints new CIO, CTO
- Why CIOs should be cloud brokers, not blockers
- Pia Waugh takes control of data.gov.au
- Govt CTO explains new role; with Lego
- Attanasio quits Customs as CIO role abolished
- Customs restructures IT with CTO
- Where’s My Jetpack?
An awesomely epic rant by Australia’s new CTO
- iiNet ramps up Internode digestion
- FTTN a huge “mistake”, says ex-BT CTO
- Aussie wife helps draw Ericsson CTO down under