• Great articles on other sites
  • RSS Great articles on other sites

  • Gaming, News - Written by on Thursday, February 16, 2012 9:52 - 12 Comments

    R18+ game legislation hits Federal Parliament

    news Jason Clare, Minister for Home Affairs and Minister for Justice, yesterday introduced legislation to create an R18+ category for computer games. The move will align classification categories for computer games with existing categories used to classify movies and bring Australia into line with the classification systems being used in several countries worldwide.

    The Bill amends the Classification (Publications, Films and Computer Games) Act 1995 and makes a consequential amendment to Schedule 7 of the Broadcasting Services Act 1992.

    At present, the highest legally available classification category for computer games is MA15+. Refused Classification is used for games unsuitable for a minor to play. Clare stated that the
    R18+ category would inform consumers, retailers and parents about games that are unsuitable for minors to play, and also act to prevent minors from buying unsuitable material.

    Strong support for this legislation has been evident during wide-ranging public consultation conducted over the past two years. The Attorney-General’s Department received 58,437 submissions in response to its recent discussion paper on the establishment of an R18+ classification category for computer games. Of these responses, 98 per cent were in favour of the introduction of such a category.

    The Federal Government has collaborated with State and Territory Governments on this issue, which will introduce complementary legislation. According to the Minister, this follows 10 years of negotiations with States and Territories. The Federal Government’s legislation is scheduled to take effect on January 1st, 2013.

    Devices for computer games are now present in nine out of 10 Australian households, according to research conducted by Bond University. The average age of Australian computer gamers is 32, and women comprise almost half (47 per cent) of computer game players. The Australian gaming industry is predicted to grow at a rate of 10 per cent per year and to reach $2.5 billion annually by 2015.

    In his speech, Clare said that his predecessor in this portfolio – Minister O’Connor – had also worked on this issue all through his tenure as Minister for Home Affairs. O’Connor had led the discussion on this issue with State and Territory Attorneys-General at the Standing Council on Law and Justice. Clare said that the bill would implement the Commonwealth’s obligations as part of this agreement, and that State and Territory jurisdictions would follow suit with their own legislation later in 2012.

    The lack of an R18+ classification system for video games in Australia has resulted in various popular video games — such as Left 4 Dead 2 and Mortal Kombat — being censored for the Australia market or refused classification so that they are unable to be sold locally. Some game publishers have been forced to modify their games prior to release in Australia, meaning some local releases have been delayed.

    One organisation to comment on the issue in March last year, when Mortal Kombat was banned from sale in Australia, was the Interactive Games and Entertainment Association, which represents a number of video game manufacturers and distributors in Australia, including heavyweights such as Microsoft, Nintendo, Activision, Sony Computer Entertainment and more. The organisation has for several years been pushing for the introduction of an R18+ rating locally.

    iGEA chief executive Ron Curry said the fact that another game “clearly designed and targeted at adults” had been refused classification again highlighted the shortcomings of the current classification scheme.

    “As with many other forms of media, there is a demand and place for an adult-themed narrative. We trust adults with this material in other media forms, yet deny them similar access simply because it’s a ‘game’. We would not accept the argument that because it’s “unsuitable for a minor to see or play” that it should therefore be banned in any other media form, so why video games?” he said at the time.

    Image credit: Warner Bros Interactive Entertainment Australia

    submit to reddit

    12 Comments

    You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. Both comments and pings are currently closed.

    1. Justin
      Posted 16/02/2012 at 11:10 am | Permalink |

      To coin @grumpymojo don’t you mean R18-? It’s been hamstrung by the vocal minority.

    2. Posted 16/02/2012 at 11:32 am | Permalink |

      There is little, and should be no, support for this move. It’s a phoned-in half measure where legislators have tried desperately to unearth opposition for the rating and when drowned in a sea of support, have been forced to sabotage the situation.

      This introduced rating ensures that the top end of the MA spectrum can be put into the R category and removed from sale to minors (probably a good idea and inline with the rest of the world), but does less than nothing to ensure adults can play adult games because RC still exists above it by which the classification board can ban games that make it sad and hurt its feelings. This was telegraphed when the NSW attorney general said he’d only support the classification if that’s what it did, and his reticence was the result of fringe religious and moral campaigners who realised the game was up for opposing adult games and started lobbying for R to be a toothless tiger.

      Fail. 24 carat, diamond studded, uncut, organic free range fail.

      • Justin
        Posted 16/02/2012 at 11:51 am | Permalink |

        Yeah, what Geordie said. (where’s that like button?)

      • PeterA
        Posted 17/02/2012 at 1:35 pm | Permalink |

        We have 2 options right now.

        1) convince people that we should be allowed to have a game where we graphically disembowel humanoid zombies, and simultaneously convince them that it should be rated specifically for adults.

        2) convince people that games exist for adults, and create a classification that recognises this fact.
        THEN convince people that *adults* that play adult games should be allowed to play a game where we graphically disembowel humanoid zombies.

        Here’s a tip. When you have 2 controversial topics, you don’t try to convince people of both at once. Your opponents pounce on the very easy to beat up and confuse state of your argument, and get it beaten in public opinion. You take your time, convince people that regardless of their position on point 2, that point one is a good idea. THEN when they see point one implemented and how it was a good idea, you use your momentum to convince them on point 2. (Conveniently, your opponents loose quite a bit of their pull from spurious arguments in the process.)

        Besides, lots of stuff atat the top of MA really should require parental approval. So why complain about that?
        Once we have an adult rating, the rating agency will of their own volition (because they are real people influenced by language they are rating for) will naturally increase the age of content rated for adults.

        • peter
          Posted 20/02/2012 at 11:24 am | Permalink |

          i remember a stat last year that the average age of gamers is something like 32

      • Brendan
        Posted 17/02/2012 at 1:49 pm | Permalink |

        “..but does less than nothing to ensure adults can play adult games because RC still exists above it..”

        Yes and no. A lack of an R18 rating frames rating violent video games in a different light. The lack of R18+ means there is a lack of an adult rating.

        Had R18+ existed, Left for Dead two would have very likely received an R18+ rating (in line with most other countries) meaning that it would have a) retained the melee violence and b) not been available to minors. It barely fell out of MA15+.

        Instead, the developer created a neutered version, which is still graphic, available to minors. It warps the outcome by removing a tier that exists elsewhere. Games are developed to (typically) fall into the categories, because we’re missing a key category here, it means titles are reviewed against (effectively) incorrect tiers.

        Frankly, once an R18+ rating is available, the christian and religious right wing fanatics can go get a life, as it’s no longer an issue involving minors.

        It will ensure titles that are particularly brutal receive an R18+, and content that really is pretty freaking nasty is RC’d. That list will be considerably smaller as a consequence. It’s pretty large now, specifically because there is no applicable rating available.

    3. Duke
      Posted 17/02/2012 at 2:40 pm | Permalink |

      … and then it toddles off to a commitee for the parliamentary filtered…sigh…




    Get our 'Best of the Week' newsletter on Fridays

    Just the most important stories, one email a week.

    Email address:


  • Enterprise IT stories

    • Super funds close to dumping $250m IT revamp facepalm2

      If you have even a skin deep awareness of the structure of Australia’s superannuation industry, you’ll be aware that much of the underlying infrastructure used by many of the nation’s major funds is provided by a centralised group, Superpartners. One of the group’s main projects in recent years has been to dramatically update and modernise its IT platform — its version of a core banking platform overhaul. Unfortunately, the $250 million project has not precisely been going well.

    • Qld’s Grant joins analyst firm IBRS peter-grant

      This week it emerged that Peter Grant, the two-time former Queensland Whole of Government CIO (pictured), has joined well-regarded analyst firm Intelligent Business Research Services (IBRS). We’ve long had a high regard for IBRS, and so it’s fantastic to see such an experienced executive join its ranks.

    • Westpac dumps desk phones for Samsung Android mobiles samsung-galaxy-ace-3

      The era of troublesome desk phones tied to physical locations is gradually coming to an end in many workplaces, with mobile phones becoming increasingly popular as organisations’ main method of voice telecommunications. But some groups are more advanced than others when it comes to adoption of the trend. One of those is Westpac.

    • Ministers’ cloud approval lasted just a year reverse

      Remember how twelve months ago, the Federal Government released a new cloud computing security and privacy directive which required departments and agencies to explicitly acquire the approval of the Attorney-General and the relevant portfolio minister before government data containing private information could be stored in offshore facilities? Remember how the policy was strongly criticised by Microsoft, Government CIOs and Delimiter? Well, it looks like the policy is about to be reversed.

    • WA Govt can’t fund school IT upgrades oops key

      In news from The Department of Disturbing Facts, iTNews revealed late last week that Western Australia’s Department of Education has run out of money halfway through the deployment of new fundamental IT infrastructure to the state’s schools.

    • Turnbull outlines Govt ICT vision turnbull-5

      Communications Minister Malcolm Turnbull has published an extensive article arguing that the Federal Government needed to do a better job of connecting with Australians via digital channels and that public sector IT projects needn’t cost the huge amounts that some have in the past.

    • NZ Govt pushes hard into cloud zealand

      New Zealand’s national Government announced a whole of government contract this morning for what it terms ‘Office Productivity as a Service’ services. This includes email and calendaring services, as well as file-sharing, mobility, instant messaging and collaboration services. The contract complements two existing contracts — Desktop as a Service and Enterprise Content Management as a Service.

    • CommBank reveals Harte’s replacement whiteing

      The Commonwealth Bank of Australia has promoted an internal executive who joined the bank in September after a lengthy career at petroleum giant VP and IT services group Accenture to replace its outgoing chief information officer Michael Harte, who announced in early May that he would leave the bank.

    • Jeff Smith quits Suncorp for IBM jeffsmith4

      Second-tier Australian bank and financial services group Suncorp today announced that its long-serving top technology executive Jeff Smith would leave to take up a senior role with IBM in the United States, in an announcement which marks the end of an era for the nation’s banking IT sector.

    • Small business missing the mobile, social, cloud revolution iphone-stock

      Most companies that live and breathe the online revolution are not tech startups, but smart smaller firms that use online tools to run their core business better: to cut costs, reach customers and suppliers, innovate and get more control. Many others, however, are falling behind, according to a new Grattan Institute discussion paper.

  • Blog, Enterprise IT - Jul 5, 2014 13:53 - 0 Comments

    Super funds close to dumping $250m IT revamp

    More In Enterprise IT


    Blog, Telecommunications - Jul 5, 2014 12:12 - 0 Comments

    What should the ACCC’s role be in guiding infrastructure spending?

    More In Telecommunications


    Analysis, Industry, Internet - Jun 23, 2014 10:33 - 0 Comments

    ‘Google Schmoogle’ – how Yellow Pages got it so wrong

    More In Industry


    Blog, Digital Rights - Jun 30, 2014 22:24 - 0 Comments

    Will Netflix launch in Australia, or not?

    More In Digital Rights